An outdoor photoshoot on a sunny and windy spring day. Quilt dancing in the wind. The intense green of the first leaves paired with the yellow green colors in the quilt. Lovely day - lovely quilt!
This is another one in my heartstring series, and I will call this "hope springs eternal / håpet er lysegrønt". It measures60" * 72", and is longarm-quilted on hobbs thermore and gifted to a young man celebrating his special day today.
These string blocks are simple, but fun to make. I used a lot of my blue fabric precut into 2.5" strips and added thin strings of contrasting colors. Emptying out the long saved selvage strips, just cutting away the thicker selvage part. If that makes any sense. As a result, this one is a library of fabric used over many years. And that is probably part of why parting with this one feels particularly painful.
It was fun bringing the quilt outside for the pictures. I want to do that some more. Colors and light go together, really they depend on each other.
And spring is greening up on the outside, here, day by day. Happy sewing!
Photoshoot on a windy afternoon. Stargazing with Amy finishes at 28" * 36", quilted with perle cotton on Quilters Dream Request batting using big baptist fan stencil to mark the quilting lines.
The blocks are made of spare parts from a previous quilt: Sizzix stars. They are purposely fragmented with star points swapped between them. Dark on light background and the other way around. Quite playful or chaotic, depending on the observer...
I think of this as a sketch, wanting to experiment with other colorways and other fabrics than quilting cottons. Another result from emptying out the boxes of pre-cuts, wip's and ufo's. That's the theme of 2016 for me so far...
This spring I keep looking through wip boxes, and one of them contained a fair amount of 2.5" strips in pastell colors from maybe 2 years ago. So I decided to move along and empty out the box.
These 16 patch blocks ends up a square 8", and I was aiming for a 64" by 80" layout. Easy piecing, but still a bit of puzzle to find a good balance and nice contrast in the final top.
A few pastell marzipan eggs was consumed during constructions, as may be expected of a easter time endevour as this... Appropriate, I would say, as they were an important part of the inspiration regarding the color palette.
Did you ever make a quilt inspired by a favourite snack or sweets?
A few snap shots of my fiesta, forever... from a freezing outdoor photoshoot. The quilt is big, 64" * 80" using quilters dream poly batting and a fun alexander henry print as a back. Not easy to capture in good light this time of the year. More lively in real life than in these pictures, I'd say...
This has been a long term scrappy project, based on the lovely pattern scrapper's delight from the book sunday morning quilts. It is a mix of blocks with very random strips of colors, and blocks with more coordinated colors. As I was putting this wip up on my design wall after finishing ziggy stardust (previous post), the inspiration hit to try a similar layout.
Some of these blocks have had several different tryouts for other layouts over time, some are freshly made for this one. A lucky find of light blue solid from stash pulled it all together. The back has been waiting patiently in stash, too. It's a mexican themed dia del morte, fun print. (There's a little showing in the middle picture, above.) As much as I would like this one quilted on a long arm, I decided to try it myself. ( The back was not big enough for the extra inches needed to attach it to the long arm.) So, using all the different colors of thread to quilt the different colored strips I took my time and quilted it over several days, a few hours at a time.
Happy with the result. The vivid colors complement the "fastelaven" (norwegian custom similar to carnival season) and easter season both. A good dose of colors are just what I need this time of year.
Meet ziggy stardust, 42" * 50" hand-quilted with perle cotton on a piece of leftover hobbs wool batting.
I started out with 6 log cabins that was made some years ago. Inspired by a few pretty quilts with this fun layout, the blocks were cut in four and arranged on my design wall until I liked the composition. Luckily I found a larger cut of light blue to fill out the rest of the top. The band of quartered log cabins was supposed to run horizontally, until the batting surfaced from my stash and had a different opinion. (Not big enough.) The joy of using what you have on hand means sometimes changing direction as you go.
As I was putting this top together, the news of David Bowie's passing made head news. So the name just came to me. I was watching several documentaries and listen to his music as I quilted this by hand. So many great songs from a big artist!
I have made a few quilts so far this year. Funny enough, after taking inventory you would think I should start quilting the pile of tops and backs from my previous post. As much as that was my intention, something else happened. The scrap box and some wip / ufo's was whispering to me, and I just had to listen to what they were saying.
These two "license to play" are both 40" * 48" quilted by machine on white and warm cotton batting. For the backs, I used two lovely prints by Nancy Wolff in a cotton linen blend. They are similar but different, like siblings, maybe....
I had so much fun making them, and would like to write a pattern or hold a class, someday. So only these partial views for now.