16 December 2011

december finish


Up here north we are having shorter and shorter days. I am trying to catch the fading daylight outside to present my finished Recess Pinwheels. This lap quilt finished at 48" by 60" with Hobbs cotton batting.

I ended up doing quite a bit of quilting by hand.

This quilt is made from a layer cake (Recess 10" squares from American Jane) In my own bake shop I cooked up this easy recipe:

combine the 10" squares in pairs with a good contrast in color (I had 2o pairs)
sew around the 4 edges with the usual 1/4" seam allowance
slice each pair diagonally in both directions, press the seams and make into pinwheels
arrange them in a pleasing order and sew them into rows, then sew the rows together

I arranged them on my design wall before sewing them together. And then I couldn't help but make a twist...

... can you spot it?


Time to concentrate on christmas preparations!

Wish you all a good weekend.

; )

14 comments:

Miki Willa said...

I love the way this came together. The pinwheels look great the way you combined the fabrics. Beautiful quilt.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It looks fantastic! what a fabulous way to use a layer cake!

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt!! Simple ingredients, beautiful result. Thank you for the "recipe." I can't find the twist.

nicolette at dutchcomfort said...

That’s a very happy quilt to finish the year with Marit! Happy Holiday Season to you!

Megan said...

♫♪Found it! (I think, LOL!)♫♪ I love a good pinwheel quilt. Beautiful job!

KateKwiltz said...

Found it! Very subtle!

And a beautiful finish!

Vicki said...

pretty! I love the recess line.

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

This is beautiful! I love the twist and those fabrics are so gorgeous combined with the solids :)

Cille said...

Beautiful quilt, very happy and bright :) the little squirk.... Is it the green white orange block? Love it.

Nifty Quilts said...

Ha! Now I see the twist. Those little bits give a quilt so much character. Very sneaky of you!

Rebecca said...

Beautiful quilt! So cheerful and warm. I love the colors...and the twist!

greelyrita said...

The twist is so subtle. If the colours had not been so similar, it would have been very obvious. It took me a while to find it. Thanks for the little puzzle. :)

Kelly said...

Fun colors here! Nice mix of prints and solids. I love it quilt and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Sandra said...

Wonderful quilt! Love the scrappiness!