01 June 2012

wanna tri? - choosing the fabric


Thank you all for cheering me on. If there's anything you want me to specify or include, please leave comments and questions to this post and I'll try to cover them in my next posts. So here we go...

Choosing the fabric

I have made two quilt tops so far based on these three criteria:
  • stash busting: finally using those big print favorite fabrics (from my favorite designers) from stash that has been collected over years
  • big prints: works well with the big size triangle (8" strips) to show of fabric from designers such as Amy Butler, Kaffe Fassett, Anna Maria Horner and more...
  • color on color palette: a group of fabric colors that are low in contrast and visually blend well together


Using the black and white edit function on photos from my first two flimsies reveals how little contrast in value both of these have. The top one is summer sorbet and the bottom one is summer breeze.

I once did a workshop with Kaffe Fassett working with fabric that had a low contrast in value. Making these wanna tri? quilts have a lot in common with how we worked in that workshop; using a design wall, a simple layout, place the fabric pieces, step back, take a look, assess, make changes, step back...  (more on that later on) 






































I have started looking for the fabric for my third quilt, still using the same criteria:
  • from stash / big prints / low in contrast of value
The first option: sunny summer has lots of yellow and orange. These are quite a bright palette all from my combined Kaffe Fassett, Brandon Mably and Phillip Jacobs stash.




The second option: summer garden is based on olive, pink and burned orange. These are less bright, all from my combined Martha Negley, Kaffe Fassett, Brandon Mably and Phillip Jacobs stash. The picture reveals how a couple of fabrics are a lot darker than the others...


How much fabric do I need?
I have made a rough estimate for three different sizes:

Large: summer sorbet (16 triangles wide, 10 rows)  72" by 72" : at least 6 yrds

Medium: summer breeze (13 triangles wide, 10 rows) 59" by 72": at least 5 yrds

Small: not tried yet ( 11 triangles wide, 9 rows) 50" by 65": at least 4 yrds 

One thing to keep in mind is a bigger quilt needs a bigger design wall. I had to upgrade to a larger size cotton batting for my second top. It's now 90" wide and the full height of my wall!


What cuts of fabric can I use?
One of the fun things about this wanna tri? recipe is how well it works for FQ, 1/4 yrd, 1/2 yrd and bigger cuts. Great for stashbusting!!!

When I have put together a bundle from stash that I am considering, I make a quick calculation of the sum of yardage. Is there's enough to make a top in L (6 yrds), M (5 yrds) or S (4 yrds)?

So, what's next?
I haven't yet made my final decision my fabric selection, (both bundles have enough yardage for a large size quilt) but I am off to make sure all the fabric is pre-washed. (I think they are easier to handle after washing, less raveling of edges. And there's less chance of bleeding when washing the finished quilt)

I am planning my next post to be about cutting out the equilateral triangles with the clear view template. 

Wish you a great weekend! Looking through your stash for hidden treasures, or not...

; )

5 comments:

Janet said...

I'm really attracted to the blended look and the triangles are such a good way to play with fabric. I'm going to wait and see how you incorporate the red aboriginal print in your last selection. I say this is a good quilt to play with colour schemes and I love your different ones.

Patti said...

So beautiful! I have this rather large selection of Kaffe Fassett fabric, so this is very tempting! Will I be able to make a template since I don't have a 60degree ruler?

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

Thanks for sharing. I plan on making a quilt right along with you!

verykerryberry said...

Awaiting my 60 triangle ruler. The b/w photo idea is great for looking at contrast. lovely post Marit!

liz said...

this is going to be fun! Thanks very much Marit!