04 June 2012

wanna tri? - making the top





Once you are happy with your layout it's time to sew the triangles together. For the "random" layout I decided to sew them into diagonal rows, then sections.

I found it useful to chain-piece the diagonal rows. First into pairs, then into foursome, then eight...

The dog ears works as a guide when you place your triangles together. No need to pin until you sew the rows together.   ; )







































Picture shows sections of 4 triangles being chain pieced into a diagonal row.

Before I sew two rows together I finger-press the seams open and give the row a little steam press with the iron.


When sewing the rows together I choose to pin at intersections seam and between them. The dog ears are helpful in lining it all up.


I finger-press and steam the seam when I have sewn two rows together. Then join the rows into sections. Starting from lower right corner I made a section of 4 rows. Starting from upper left corner, I made another section of 4 rows.

Picture shows how I sew the top together in sections. Three rows in the middle are not pieced together yet. 

Pressing with steam after sewing two rows together.

Seam ripper showing the scale of these 8" equilateral triangles. 

A few patches are turned backside up on purpose. This gives you a "bleached out" variation of a light print.

So, that's it! I hope you have a good idea of how to make your own Wanna tri? quilt, someday...

Wish you all a great week!





8 comments:

Lilla dør said...

Du syr så mykje fint. Blir veldig inspirert når eg er innom bloggen. Du er kjempe goè. klem

Nifty Quilts said...

Your instructions are great. And I love your new color schemes! You really have a talent for putting color and pattern together in a way that is entertaining, but not too busy. Thanks for sharing your thinking with us!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! And thanks for the great tip on leaving the dog ears for guides!

Jennifer :)

Tilonino said...

Marit; du er bare den flinkeste jeg vet til alt som har med quiltetepper å gjøre. Min store favorittquiltedame er du :)
Du må vise meg dette med sømmene dine, det er så flott på baksiden også, og det liker jeg ;)
Snakkes nok snart ;)
Klem

Quiltefia said...

Hei!! Enig med Tilonino!! Du er superflink!! Jeg ville gjerne være med, og ble så glad da jeg hadde 60 graders vinkel!! Men jeg er jo aldri hjemme....... Men snart er det ferie og da!! Det er jo bare å gå tilbake og se hva du har gjort!! Men du vet, jeg strikker......Det blir det lite lappetepper av......AnneK:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great instructions. You quilt looks awesome! I have finally picked my fabrics, but it may be a while before I get started. Too many WIPs right now to star something else.

Theodora quilts said...

Hi Marit I always enjoy looking at your instructions they are very well put ,I also like your colors.

Selfsewn said...

Yes I do!!