08 March 2013

fractured field study no. 2


It's friday and time to share my first quilt finish of 2013. My fractured field study no.2 is 48" by 60" and hand quilted on wool batting and a voile backing. I showed a picture in an earlier post, telling the story of how one quilt top ended up as two. (Not the first time that have happened to me  ; )   )

The pattern is my simplification of Kathy Doughty's lovely pattern. I used 2.5" strips WOF for the stepped blocks and added 4.5" squares for the center ones. The start of this palette came from some of Anna Maria Horners line Field Study. I had a lot of fun combining the colors, adding many favorite designers to the mix... 






































The AMH voile has a width of 54", making it a great backing for this smallish size lap quilt. I have used this fabric as a backing before, in yellow and fuchsia. This is the first time I combine it with wool. The result is so soft - wish you all could touch it. Hand-quilting this combination was a joy too!
; )

And quite a few? more pictures...



















Wish you all a happy international woman's day!

; )


22 comments:

Brenda said...

Happy international woman's day to you too! This is a lovely finish, from the simplicity of the fabric, to the colours, to the handquilting.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Marit! Your new quilt is so beautiful! Once again wonderful pattern and your fabrics are adorable! Have a lovely day! x Teje

giddy99 said...

It's lovely! I so love AMH Field Study; it makes everything so wonderful!

Nifty Quilts said...

Another wonderful Marit creation! Love your color scheme and your always skillful way of combining color and pattern. I'll bet the voile feels great with wool! Thank you for including all the photos.

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

I love this quilt. I need to try voile as backing sometime. Good idea.
whatthebobbin dot com

audrey said...

Beautiful! Love your combination of colors. I am in love.:)

Mego said...

LOVE IT. I made a 'fractured' quilt a couple of years ago and thought it was too much...I'm liking the simplified version. Thanx!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh yes...ouuuu aahhh!! You always have yummy goodness over here Marit!

I'm definitely inspired with all your colorful projects you have going, especially that there will be some 'hand quilting' involved!! Relaxing!

Charlotte said...

wow! it's so beautiful!!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a stunning combination of fabrics!

Quiltefia said...

Hei!! Superfin quilt!! Deilige farger!! Ha en fin helg !! Annek:-)

Mary said...

Wow! I really love this! And what perfect fabrics and palette!

Kinga Izabella said...

Beautiful! Great colors, i love this combination :)

Siobhán said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love your choice of colors and prints. AMH's Field Study is such a pretty line.

Anna Hall said...

This quilt is absolutely stunning!!! You did an amazing job!

KateKwiltz said...

Beautiful! I love the energy and movement! Great finish!

Anonymous said...

I swear it's moving! Beautiful! Take care, Byrd

Carla said...

Just gorgeous! I still have a collection of AMH voiles in fat eighths in my stash...a summer quilt needs to be made!!

Lynne said...

Lovely!

apiecefullife said...

Love your quilt. Love the colours!
I have made a similar one using old woollen kimonos and very thin batting (pellon).

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

Annabella said...

Such a great idea to back it in voile - I love AMH and am still figuring out what to do with my precious Field Study. This is a lovely finish.