30 March 2014

crows


We live under a track of flying crows. Each dusk and dawn they pass our house. A ruddy crowd, and sometimes loud too. Too many to count, and yet of some order. They have inspired the name for my latest finished quilt:

my crows are 55" * 70", machine quilted in simple zig zags across on quilters dream request (thin) cotton batting

For me, the recycled shirts gives this quilt an everyday, casual and simple beauty. Nothing fancy. The black fabric really helps showing up the dust and cat hair... Absolutely not of heirloom quality, but a good utility lap quilt for me. The back is a wider cotton from IKEA, in less than quilters cotton quality. And I am considering giving it some more quilting, as the sparse quilting is already broken in a few places. Probably too much tension on the thread when in use.  As for now the quilted lines are about 3" apart. Considering adding some hand quilting. Might have to wait as I am finishing up my three other partly hand quilted quilts, first.

This sunday is the first day of summer time, and I am happy to capture a sign of spring in the garden:





Wish you a lovely sunday!

; )




17 comments:

Rebecca said...

I really like the contrast of the black with the gray settings of the flying geese. The soft colors of the shirt plaids make this a great gift for men also I think. The simple quilting adds to it also... If you have to add additional quilting maybe doing it "in the ditch" of the geese would add enough.

Stina... said...

Helt helt underbar.... :0)) skönt mer vår eller hur ...här passerar svanar och gäss hela tiden...och det är ljuvligt...till och med trumpetandet!! :0)

Nifty Quilts said...

I love this quilt! You've used those shirt scraps brilliantly with the gray and black. Your asymmetrical quilting lines give added interest and make it more modern. Lovely finish--or almost finish!

Lappedamen said...

Et deilig og hjemmekoselig teppe, sjarmerende. Veldig fin effekt med det sorte stoffet og quiltemønsteret du valgte.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

This is such a cool quilt!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What a fabulous quilt Marit! I adore the colours and the recycled shirt fabrics. Your quilting really compliments the design and the name is brilliant! xo

audrey said...

This is a GREAT quilt! Love what you did with the recycled shirt pieced together into geese. And the black is such a wonderful choice with them too!

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt. I've got to say your placement of the tulip photo with the quilt was really striking. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Till de här gässen kan man ju använda sina scraps. Tror jag skall prova.Jag använder också Dream Cotton Request och tycker att den är bra.

Quiltdivajulie said...

GREAT quilt!

mary truax said...

Good work, Marit! A modern take on a traditional design. Love the recycled shirtings. Inspired by your unique quilt!

Livihus said...

Hei, Marit!

Ser at flere av kommentarene er skrevet på både svensk og norsk, så da tar jeg sjansen på en norsk jeg også! Du har en fantastisk fin blogg, og kråketeppet er helt nydelig! Jeg scrollet meg nedover, og falt pladask for det retro teppet "missing u" - jeg er selv veldig glad i farger, med en forkjærlighet for alt som er retroinspirert.

Jeg ser du har to nydelige katter, den ene ligner veldig på min egen FIA :)

Du er herved lagt til i blogglista mi! ( er rimelig fersk i blogglandia selv, men begynner og bli "varm i trøya"!)

Ha ei fin helg!

Liv Iren

Sharon said...

Wow, this quilt just really strikes a chord with me! I love your pieced geese - love that they're done with recycled shirts. And the grey and black just set the geese off so well. Your quilt is beautiful!

I hope you can solve your quilting problem. I'm sure more quilting would stabilize and help the quilt. Hand quilting would really make this super!

Carla said...

What a fun little quilt! I always enjoy your photos, Marit. Today, a big flock of blackbirds visited my yard...migrating, I assume. I felt like I was part of an Alfred Hitchcock movie it was so loud and weird!!

Helen said...

What fun to see these shirts morph into geese! I would love to do one like it!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Beautiful quilt! I love it!

Unknown said...

LOVE your "Pushing Up Daisies" and also LOVE your handsome long-armed quilt-holding husband!!
Aunt Susie & Kary