21 February 2008

Winter Strawberries




I am happy to have completed my latest bigger quilt Winter Strawberries, that I started atumn of 2006. Sometimes the prosess takes a little time....

This is my own design. My intentions was to make a red quilt that would give a lot of warmt to the room around christmastime. I have changed and reworked the design several times, this quilt gave me a hard time - so I had to put it a way for a while. I have found that this helps when struggling with some design problem. So, a year went by, and new ideas came to my mind.

The quilt is made with log cabin blocks. When I assembled it on my floor, I realised it refused to lay flat. Ooops - major problem. I felt like giving up on it completely. Some advise from my friendly longarmowner at Kactus Quilts convinced me a gentle stretching on the frame would solve this problem. She did a great job, and like a miracle, its a flat quilt! I am not sure the picture reveals it, but the long sides are not straight. Anyway - who said it has to be perfect?

Lessons learned - take my time, let a project rest a while, and see if I can pick it up later.

Almost forgot to mention it - this quilt cleaned out most of my red fabric stash!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Beautiful red!!! How do you go about designing your quilts? I love EQ6 and wondered if this was what you used.

Marit said...

I do use EQ6, but must admit I do not always know how to work it the way I want. Sometimes sketching with pencil on paper is the best way. I started with the center of the blocks, sorting the reds so they would complement the different fruit designs. For a contrast i framed the center with light blue and light purple. As I wrote in my post, I struggled with the composition for a while, trying out different solutions for the filling blocks. My method was just step by step, testing out different solutions, I guess. It does feel a bit like a gamble, starting out without the complete design. But that is also part of the fun - like a puzzle, make the bits and pieces fit.
How do you find working with EQ6? Have you had any lessons, or any help learning to operate the program? I sometimes find it quite frustrating...

Greenmare said...

Wow it is AWESOME!!

qusic said...

how I love your "winter strawberries",so glowing and adding a hot spot to your wall!
thank you very much for your nice comment and visit to my blog. I use EQ6 too.There is a group in flickr.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your strawberry quilt!
Great job!
I think I need to buy more red fabric!