Although not in this seasons color, it was time to make some hourglass blocks!
... all because of this nifty little tool. I was generously invited to try out the GO! Baby cutter by AccuQuilt. Friday afternoon it landed on my doorstep, and I just had to start playing with my new toy.
I chose the quarter square dies, aiming for the lovely old hourglass block. And then I just dived into my stash, looking for the right fabrics.
The process of using the cutter is quite simple. First I cut some fabrics into strips to fit the width of the dye. I ironed them, placed them on the dye with the cutting mat ontop and rolled them through the GO! Baby. Then I folded up some others, achieving up to six layers of fabric. I continued to iron the fabric before cutting it.
This quarter square dies has very little waste. The corners are nicely cut, so the block comes together without any dog ears. Easy peasy and instant joy!
The plan was to make a few patches, just testing the tool. But watching these perfectly cut shapes, I have to admit I got a bit carried away. Using my small (24" * 24") flannel design board, I put them into little stacks until my initial fabric selection was all cut up. Then I started looking for additional colors, bringing out the stash...
Could not resist sewing together a few blocks, and putting them up on the design wall...
This is what I have got so far. Limiting myself to only two colors, I am focusing on the contrast of light and dark. Starting out with a kit for a mini quilt in Jo Morton's beautiful reproductions, I have widened the selection to include other reproductions, woven fabric, some Thimbleberries and even cut up a few thrifted men's shirts. (Those cottons shirts cut like butter... ; ) would love to try that again.)
So now, I have the work cut out for me....