27 July 2012

y not?



Kerry's house block for the Ringo Pie patchwork bee is my first attempt at sewing a y seam (inset seam). Why did it take me so long? Kerry is a very talented designer and over all seamstress. She makes very intricate and beautiful paper piecing designs using freezer paper. Recently she taught a class at the Fat Quarterly retreat in London "conquering the Y seam with freezer paper piecing". (Together with Penny she has started a business selling their designs at Sew-Ichigo. See the link on their blogs.)

As much as I would have loved to, I didn't take part in Kerry's class. And it's something I really want to learn. So I decided to give it a try...


She specially requested a non-wonky house block. I must be crazy to think this is the perfect opportunity to attempt this dreaded piecing. But then again, why not?

I did use freezer paper and improvising quite a bit, the three y seams came together. Not sure I want you to take a close look at the back, Kerry...


and please don't ask me why not?

; )


9 comments:

verykerryberry said...

I love it Marit! it is so you as well as it has a wrong Nordic feel to it. Y seams are so tricky first time round and it looks like they worked for you. The first time I did them was in Ringo Pie and I had no idea but I sort of got them to work! I can't wait to add this to my houses!

Leslie said...

this looks beautiful

dutchcomfort said...

Love it!

I think Kerry meant to say strong and not wrong...?

Nifty Quilts said...

Great little house! Your Y seams look good to me. I'm off to check Kerry's blog right now.

Carla said...

Y....you are really good at those Y-seams....what a cute little house!

Browndirtcottage said...

Well, I think you did VERY good for your first try!! They look flat and smooth as can be!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Very cute little house! I would definitely add it to a little quilty village...

Lappedamen said...

Your wonky hous block looks great. Nothing wrong with your Y-seams as far as I can see...

Janet said...

It's a great block, the front is all that matters.