22 December 2014

it's time ...

to swap out the wip on the temporary design wall (in the dining room) with something more in tune with the holidays.

So I thought I would like to share a picture, and at the same time keep a record for the current distribution of house blocks, too...

These lovely, toned down, soft pastel fabric combinations are selected by Trine Bakke, proprietor of Lappemakeriet and author of a few of my favorite quilting books. She has her shop close to Oslo, so it's a bit of a journey to get to visit her there. This spring she brought her shop to the annual meeting of the norwegian quilters association, this year set in Kristiansand, making it a short day trip south of here by train. I spent a lovely day in good company and fell in love with Trines bom called "Husmannsplass". (Hers was in the process of being quilted by hand, I think). Somehow this ended up as my birthday present this year from my sweet husband.

; )

I have been slowly making progress, and enjoying seeing how the palette develops. A few days ago, the last of the houses fabric arrived in the mail, and I started the puzzle of arranging them all, even with 6 blocks not sewn, yet.

Trine provided two ways of making these house blocks, as english paper piecing by hand, or as foundation paper piecing. I tried the tiny paper piecing patches, before switching to sewing by machine. Even if I love doing the hand sewing over paper, this was just too tiny for me! Finished house blocks are 8" and there will be 30 of them. Sashing, cornerstones and border is yet to arrive.

This project has offered a nice change of pace for me this fall. I hope you all have a lovely wip or more in the making. So, from this pretty quiet corner of blogville, I want to wish readers a peaceful and lovely holiday season this year!

; )


9 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful! I can see why you were so inspired by this combination of soft pastels with a little earthy brown. The houses make an interesting and entertaining display of these prints. It will be another stunning quilt to add to your collection. Good to see you in blog land again. Wishing you happy holidays and all good things in the new year.

audrey said...

Wowsers! These are so pretty! You're going to have another fabulous quilt with these blocks.:) Happy holidays!

Maryse said...

Beautiful color palette, it's good to see something different. And the house block...so very cute!

Quiltefia said...

Hei!! Hyggelig prosjekt!! Ønsker deg riktig god jul!! Anne Kari :-)

Anonymous said...

Love to see your new work Marit! Have a very Merry Christmas!

paulette said...

I LOVE your colour choice!! Wonderful! And your Dresden plate is out of this world!!

Unknown said...

Wow..it's a long time since I saw Schoolhouses.They are lovely! I'm looking forward to see the finished quilt.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Just found your blog and like it ever so much! Your quilts are wonderful and refreshing! Thanks for the inspiration!
Mickie

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Love your houses!!! adorable!!
;-) Now I want to make one!