14 February 2015

constellations


The first quilt of 2015 started out as a test of a new sizzix die paired with some left over blue backing fabric (the plaid). It was so much fun making the stars and using the trusty old hourglass die as star centers. Playing around on the design wall, I ended up using the stars as the sashing of plain 8" blocks. Wanting it to be a bit bigger, I framed it with the lovely constellation designed by Lizzy House and the bold yellow and blue grid from an old Anna Maria Horner line. 

Ending up at 57" * 60", it is quilted both by machine in the ditch and by hand with perle cotton thread on the lovely Quilters Dream Select (mid weight) cotton batting. I am naming it constellations. Some quilts takes a lot of time to make, this one just happened while playing along. Love that!

Weather around here has been a challenge for outside picture taking. Luckily today my handsome quilt holding husband was a up for the task and managed to hold it straight as an arrow. Sometimes you just have to jump at the chance. Longing for spring and better photo shoots.

Wish you all Happy Valentines Day!

; )




10 comments:

audrey said...

What a great quilt! Your stitching compliments it perfectly and I just adore your bold fabric intermixed in the border.:)

verykerryberry said...

Beautiful! The quilting is so amazing and I love the bursts of yellow

Nifty Quilts said...

Stunning! I love your unexpected, yet cohesive fabric choices, along with the sky blue. The stars are all entertaining, as is the pieced border. They make a beautiful composition. Dancing stars. I'm sure it looks wonderful all rumpled up with a nap.

Barb said...

What a Terrific quilt! I love your borders and mix of fabrics.
It is super vibrant and fun!!
Bravo

Mary said...

I love this! I can't believe I didn't buy the constellations fabric when it was easily available. The scrappy border is so much fun! Our grey days have made picture taking a challenge as well. But Spring will be here soon, right?

Lisa J. said...

This is a really beautiful quilt. I love the stars.

Janet said...

What a great first quilt of the year, it's so fresh looking. Was the Quilters Dream Select ok to do the perle cotton stitching?

KateKwiltz said...

Pretty! Hope it's keeping you warm!

Heidi said...

Love it ! It's unique and wonderful

Lappedamen said...

Wonderful quilt. I like the mix of machine- and hand quilting.