30 January 2013

five




My latest quilting adventure started with some beautiful field study fabric and a wish to try making Kathy Doughty's Fractured pattern using 2.5" strips WOF.

I pulled out a warm palette to complement Anna Maria Horners Field study from my stash: orange, pink, red purple and gold. Making blocks and putting them up on my design wall I decided my fabric selection didn't work out, so I put some of the blocks and ready cut strips aside. Then I finished the purple fractured top shown in picture 4.

The spare blocks from this first fractured quilt top kept calling me. I put them on my design wall and decided it was half a top worth of pretty blocks. So I pulled more fabric from stash and made the pink fractured quilt top shown in picture 2.

This second fractured top is slowly being hand quilted on wool batting and a voile backing. (see picture 3). It is softer than butter and oh so tempting to work on.... The key for me is to go slow with the hand-quilting. I have spent all my money at the chiropractors office lately. Not fun! I have to find a way to go back to spend my money on fabric instead.

The center 4 patch in the first picture are made from spare parts from the second fractured top. They were just winking at me saying "don't we look pretty? All we need is a few star points from the scrap bin."

So we are down to picture 5. The spare parts from the spare parts formed a figure of five stars. Reminding me to tell you it's been 5 years since I started this blog. Thank you all for making it such a great place to share ideas and inspiration!

Wish you all a great wednesday and hope you will have some pretty spare parts tempting you to get creative! Me, I am trying to go real slow. 5 years is not so long, I do not want to stop quilting and blogging just yet!

; )

15 comments:

Fran said...

Loving the stars! Happy five years :-)

Charlotte said...

beautiful tops, and I love that you used all the scraps too! Happy anniversary :-D

Lynne said...

Happy blogiversary. Those fractired blocks look good together.

karen said...

Wow times 5. I've never seen that fractured pattern before. That is really cool. And I adore the stars. Especially because you didn't isolate the stars. I love how they touch. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Thanks to you for sharing all fantastic quilts you make! Your blog is my favorit!

Carla said...

Happy Blogiversary, Marit! I've not read your posts for the whole time....but have loved every single one for the last several years. I feel like we've become friends! The fractured quilts are so intriguing and also being one of Kathy's readers have had that quilt on my To Do list for awhile....yours are awesome....but I didn't know it was so prolific!

Chase said...

HAPPY HAPPY 5 YEARS! It is surely a great achievement!! There are so many nice quilts that you are working on! We seem busy all the time on making, but when the quilts are done it is just a great feeling of accomplishments.. :) Happy Sewing, xc

Mary said...

Wow! Your fractured blocks have so much movement! I love it! Happy Anniversary!

Nifty Quilts said...

All beautiful works! It looks like a way to warm up with your spicy colors. Congratulations on 5 years in Blogland! I enjoy every one of your posts.

CitricSugar said...

Congrats on 5 years! And thanks for all the inspiration - today is no exception!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Happy 5 years of blogging, Marit!

Quiltefia said...

Hei!! gratulerer med 5 år!! Jeg har ikke fulgt deg så lenge, men ca 3 tror jeg!! Alltid hyggelig lesning!! Det er en god ide den quilten du lager nå! Og det er både frustrerende og kreativt å måtte bytte ut ting som ikke funker. Jeg er også inne i en kreativ periode, ville helst sydd hele tiden. Igår var jeg tidlig feridg på jobb, og da dro jeg til "verkstedet" mitt og fikk quiltet i 2 timer. Sliter litt med å få alt til og fungerer prikkfritt. Tråd som ryker og en speedcontroll som lever sitt eget liv..... Ha en fin helg! AnneK.-)

Franziska said...

5 years. It all seems so fast gone.
I like the stars. So wonderful colours.

roccagal said...

congrats on the blogaversary! you quilts are always totally fantastic! I love 'em all but these really speak to me!!!!
i so luv reading your blog hope you go on for many more years!

Anonymous said...

congrats on 5 years! I love any radiating design and fractured is high on the list.